Monday, May 26, 2014

{ crochet } a banner


There's something about banners that puts a happy smile on my face.  This little project combines three of my happy's: banners, crochet and rainbows!
It is made of single crochet triangle motifs trimmed in a scalloped edging.  

In case you would like to make your own, here's the pattern I made up as I went along:

Triangle:
I used an F hook (3.75mm) for the triangle, and a D hook (3.25mm) for the edging.
ch2, sc in first ch made, ch1, turn (2 stitches made)
sc in same stitch, sc in each of next 2 stitches (3 stitches made)
Continue this way, increasing by one stitch in each row until you have 20 stitches.

Here is a close-up of where you will put the last stitch in each row before doing the ch1, turn.  You will see 3 horizontal loops and then a vertical loop.  Insert your hook at the vertical (arrow) to make the last sc in each row.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Trim:
Along the edging you will see small holes created from the first chains in each row (9 clearly visible on each side). Use this photo as a guide for where to work your edge scallops:

Join trim color to top left corner of triangle and work 1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, 1sc in each hole along edge (10 scallops in all).
Continue working 10 scallops up the other side (shown above with black dots).
At top of triangle, work a sc in each stitch across (20 total).
Ch1 and work another row of sc.
Fasten off and weave in ends.

Continue making triangles until you have as many as you like.  I recommend blocking them--it just helps them lay nice and flat when hanging.

Joining the triangles:
I created a separate piece and stitched my triangles to it.  You may come up with a more genius way of joining them, but I went with what was easier for me.  
To figure out the length:
I led with 20 chains on each end, 10 chains in between each triangle, and then 20 for the length of each triangle.  So for my 5 triangles, I needed a chain of 181 = 40 (ends) + (20 x 5) + (10 x 4) (plus 1 for turning ch)

Ch181, work a sc in each chain across (180).
Fasten off.
Using a whip, stitch attach each triangle to the length.  I used stitch markers to temporarily and evenly attach my triangles for stitching.
Weave in all ends and hang your new banner!

Currently, ours has made his home in our guest bathroom:


Happy Crocheting!

1 comment:

  1. so so so CUTE !! love this, happy colors, and yes, banner gives me smile too ;-))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!